The jury and film selections for the short film competition were announced during the press conference held at the festival centre in Duhok. The festival’s 5th edition welcomes French film critic and writer for French magazine Les Cahiers du cinema Vincent Malausa as jury president. The jury members are Kurdish writer, actor and director Shwan Attoof and Dahci Ma, Korean film director, youngest director to ever receive the grand-prix at Lincoln Center in New York.
The Kurdish short film selection includes four films from Rojhalat, three films by diaspora filmmakers, Mohammed Sherwani’s Duaa a Kurdistan production and Mehmet Ali Baran’s Node from Bakur (Northern Kurdistan). The final selection includes eight films competing for two awards – Golden Leaf for the Best Kurdish Short Film and Special Prize of the Jury.
This year the world short film selection includes a variety of themes and focuses on introducing audiences to various Genre Films, such as horror (Dawn of the Deaf), mystery thriller (Recall), and dance (Cold Storage). In total the world short films selection will have ten films from ten different countries. The selection includes the international premiere of the Swedish production Anonyma by Zanyar Adami. The ten films will be competing for two awards - Golden Leaf for the Best World Short Film and Special Prize of the Jury.
World Cinema Shorts competition:
- Mikel by Cavo Alan Kernich - Germany/ 2017/ 30 min
- Belle Ville by Jung Won-hee - France/ 2016/ 26 min
- Dawn of the Deaf by Rob Savage - UK/ 2016/ 12 min
- Jodilerks Dela Cruz, Employee of the Month by Carlo Francisco Manatad - Philippines, Singapore/ 2017/ 13 min
- Gaze by Farnoosh Samadi - Iran/ 2017/ 15 min
- When you love by Süheyla Schwenk - Germany/ 2016/ 29 min
- Anonyma by Zanyar Adami - Sweden / 2017 / 7min
- Cold Storage by Thomas Freundlich - Finland/ 2016/ 9 min
- Written / Unwritten by Adrian Silisteanu - Romania/ 2016/ 20 min
- Recall by Dániel Reich - Hungary/ 2017/ 20 min
Kurdish Cinema Shorts competition:
- A Special Guest by Kae Bahar - UK/ 2016/ 19 min
- From Hasaka with Love by Mohammad Farahani - Iran/ 2016/ 9 min
- Taste of Rabbit by Kardo Mansur, Norway, Russia/ 2017/ 11 min
- ALAN - Mostafa Gandomkar by Iran/ 2017/ 20 min
- Shouted from the Rooftops by Beri Shalmashi - KRG, Netherlands/ 2017/ 7 min
- Node by Mehmet Ali Baran - Turkey/ 2017/ 19 min
- Duaa by Mohammed Sherwani - KRG/ 2017/ 11 min
- Achieve by Mohammad Reza Minapour - Iran/ 2017/ 11 min