The world cinema competition of the 5th edition of the Duhok IFF boasts a fine selection of films as well as a prestigious jury, which were presented by the festival team during a press conference organised on August 20th.
The jury residing over the world cinema competition were revealed to be president Kiki Fung (Hong Kong) film critic, curator, and head programmer of the Brisbane Asia Pacific Film Festival, and jury members Hussein Hassan, the Kurdish director and actor, Iranian screenwriter Mohamed Reza Gohari, French director and journalist Pascale Bourgaux, and Turkish director and producer Özcan Alper.
The film King’s Shift by Lithuanian film director Ignas Miskins will be world premiered as part of the competition. Other films selected include Paris Prestige by rap group La Rumeur (Mohamed "Hamé" Bourockba and Ekoué Labitey) as well as Lee Zoo-young’s A Single Rider, both MENA premieres.
The world competition film selections will be competing for the following 4 awards:
- Yilmaz Güney Award for the best Feature Film
- New Talent Award for the Best First or Second Director of a Feature Film
- Special Price of the Jury
- Audience Award for the best Film
World Cinema Competition Film Selections:
- Sami Blood by Amanda Kernell – Sweden, Norway, Denmark/2016/110 min
- El Amparo by Rober Galzadilla – Venezuela, Colombia/2016/99 min
- Park by Sophia Exarchou – Greece, Poland/2017/100 min
- Free and Easy by Geng Jun – China/2017/99 min
- Glory by Kristina Grozeva and Petar Valchanov – Bulgaria/2016/96 min
- Paris Prestige by La Rumeur – France/2017/105 min
- King's Shift by Ignas Miskins – Lithuania/2016/102 min
- Single Rider by Lee Joo-young – Korea/2017/97 min
- Yellow Heat by Fikret Reyhan – Turkey/2017/85 min
- The Nothing Factory by Pedro Pinho – Portugal/2017/177 min